Rev. Allan Smith-Reeve
Rev. Bill Peacock
Music Director: Marion Griffin
Administrative Assistant: Sandy Mills
Caretakers: Ken & Marilyn Minion
A Brief History
St Matthew's−Donwood Pastoral Charge became a single congregation in June 2014. The congregation chose their new name Greenwood United Church in June 2015 to reflect their new relationship with each other and with the greater community.
Previously St Matthew's was a unification of two older congregations: Stewart Hall United Church and Cold Springs Sunday School. They established a new church in 1968 and built a modern building on Wallace Point Drive. That building now houses New Life Church.
Donwood United Church was formed in 1962 as a community church. They initially met for worship at the Rifle Range School on Burnham Line (now a private residence), but were able to erect the current building on Donwood Drive in 1964 on land donated by the Wood family.
In 2019 Fairview United Church congregation began worshipping with Greenwood at the Greenwood site, and sold their building on Carnegie Road in the fall of that year. Fairview had served the rural community just north of Peterborough for over 140 years before joining with Greenwood. In the recent past, members of Fairview and the former Donwood congregations performed together as the Donwood Players.
Bedford House ministry
Greenwood United Church and Bedford House now have an integrated ministry under the direction of Rev. Allan. In addition, two Greenwood representatives sit on the Bedford House board. The main focus of the Bedford House ministry is the “Bridges Peterborough” program which explores the bridge between poverty and privilege. It is led by people who bring their lived experiences of poverty to the group. They work to educate, animate, and facilitate community change.
for more info, please visit www.bridgespeterborough.ca
Our core values and practices:
Eco-spirituality: We acknowledge the Divine Feminine, the Sacred diversity of all life, the place of humanity in the circle of life, the integrity of “All our Relations”.
Inclusivity: We are learning together how to include people from all walks of life and not assuming that our “All are welcome” will translate into a welcoming and safe environment for everyone. We open our eyes to the systemic racism and prejudices of our heritage – and seek to learn from diverse worldviews of culture, class, and abilities.
Shared Ministry: Feeding and caring for our flock is a shared effort. Our part-time, professional clergy serves to support the shared leadership in worship, education, and pastoral care.
Eco-stewardship: The way we care for our building, property, and financial investments is an expression of our Care for the Earth.
Lightheartedness: “Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly” We love to laugh, sing, and share our food, celebrations, and sorrows together. Our worship is not a performance. When mistakes are made, we join in the laughter of a shared, down to earth, humility. We appreciate the leadership offered
Our Resurrection Tapestry
* Designed and created by Friedel (1917-2000) and dedicated to the Glory of God on April 14, 1981
* measures 8 by 16 feet
* contains approximately 35 pounds of homespun wool, 50 pounds of manufactured
wool, 10 pounds of other natural fibres (linen, silk, angora, mohair) as well as some synthetic, lurex and metallic threads; both chemical and natural dyes were used
* thirty to forty congregational members and friends spent in excess of 1,00 hours over six weeks preparing the wool, and other tasks associated with the project
* the actual weaving took Friedel eight months
Friedel came to Canada in 1954 from her home country of Germany, where she had trained as a weaver. From 1970 until her death in 2000, she resided in Peterborough where she made use of her talents by teaching and by participating in many group and one-woman shows with her tapestries.